Eugène Ionesco was born 26 November 1909, and died 28 March 1994
Eugène Ionesco: Nine Quotes
- A work of art is above all an adventure of the mind.
- A writer never has a vacation. For a writer, life consists of either writing or thinking about writing.
- We have not the time to take our time.
- The critic should describe, and not prescribe.
- It is not the answer that enlightens, but the question.
- Why do people always expect authors to answer questions? I am an author because I want to ask questions. If I had answers, I’d be a politician.
- People who don’t read are brutes.
- It is true that all authors have tried to make propaganda. The great ones are those who failed, who have gained access, consciously or not, to a deeper and more universal reality.
- Ideologies separate us. Dreams and anguish bring us together.
Eugène Ionesco was a Romanian and French playwright and dramatist, and one of the foremost playwrights of the Theatre of the Absurd. Beyond ridiculing the most banal situations, Ionesco’s plays, which include Rhinoceros, depict in a tangible way the solitude and insignificance of human existence.
Source for Image
Are you interested in more authors’ birthdays? Please click here: Literary Birthday Calendar