Happy Birthday, Bob Dylan, born 24 May 1941
- I accept chaos, I’m not sure whether it accepts me.
- Sometimes it’s not enough to know what things mean, sometimes you have to know what things don’t mean.
- A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.
- Take care of all your memories. For you cannot relive them.
- People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.
- Don’t criticise what you can’t understand.
- You’re going to die. You’re going to be dead. It could be 20 years, it could be tomorrow, anytime. So am I. I mean, we’re just going to be gone. The world’s going to go on without us. All right now. You do your job in the face of that, and how seriously you take yourself you decide for yourself.
Behind every beautiful thing, there’s some kind of pain.
- No one is free, even the birds are chained to the sky.
- I think of a hero as someone who understands the degree of responsibility that comes with his freedom.
- Inspiration is hard to come by. You have to take it where you find it.
- It’s not easy to define poetry.
- I have dined with kings, I’ve been offered wings. And I’ve never been too impressed.
- Some people seem to fade away but then when they are truly gone, it’s like they didn’t fade away at all.
- There is nothing so stable as change.
Bob Dylan is an American singer-songwriter, artist and writer. He is the recipient of the 2016 Nobel Prize in Literature. He won “for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition”. He is the author of Chronicles: Volume One and Tarantula.