Philip K. Dick was born 16 December 1928, and died 2 March 1982
Philip K Dick Quotes
- The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
- Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.
- A lot can be said for the infinite mercies of God, but the smarts of a good pharmacist, when you get down to it, is worth more.
- This, to me, is the ultimately heroic trait of ordinary people; they say no to the tyrant and they calmly take the consequences of this resistance.
- The problem with introspection is that it has no end.
- I want to write about people I love, and put them into a fictional world spun out of my own mind, not the world we actually have, because the world we actually have does not meet my standards.
- The true measure of a man is not his intelligence or how high he rises in this freak establishment. No, the true measure of a man is this: how quickly can he respond to the needs of others and how much of himself he can give.
- Don’t try to solve serious matters in the middle of the night.
- There exists, for everyone, a sentence – a series of words – that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you’re lucky, you will get the second, but you can be certain of getting the first.
- Whom the gods notice they destroy.
Philip K. Dick was an American Science Fiction novelist and short story writer. He wrote 44 novels, and approximately 121 short stories. Many popular films based on his books have been produced, including Blade Runner (based on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Total Recall, Minority Report (based on The Minority Report), and The Adjustment Bureau. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle. In 2007, Dick became the first science fiction writer to be included in The Library of America series.
Source for image
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar