We receive many emails every day. We are bombarded with adverts, proposals, requests and reports. Why do we respond to some and ignore others?
As I have said before, I ignore messages that are full of meaningless rambling words and phrases. I also cannot take anyone seriously if their writing is littered with errors in spelling and grammar. I respond to those that are courteous, catch my attention, and ask me a simple question.
Simplicity is the magical ingredient in communicating. Have a look at these examples.
How many of these mistakes do you make every day?
Source for Image
Join us for our business writing course, The Plain Language Programme.
- Apostrophes Explained
- The Ellipsis
- Semicolons and Colons
- Between you and me
- Commonly confused abbreviations: etc., i.e., e.g.
- Hyphens & Dashes
- Punctuation and Dialogue
- What is a sentence fragment?
- Transitional Words and Phrases – Three reasons to use them
- 50 Redundant Phrases To Avoid
- The 12 Worst Mistakes People Make In Email Subject Lines
- The One Essential Email Trick Every Business Writer Should Know