Writing prompts are an excellent way to exercise the writing muscle. Writing prompts are suggestions for writers. They are usually words, images, or sentences that describe an idea or a situation. They give writers a starting point.
50 Song Titles That Ask Questions
We thought lyric titles that pose a question might be an interesting way to choose writing prompts.
If you have a writing group:
- Print these titles.
- Cut them into one-liners.
- Get everybody to pick one from a box.
- Or ask people to choose a number from 1-50.
Exercise: Answer the question by free writing for five minutes.
Here are the 50 titles:
[Download the list: 50 Song Titles To Use As Writing Prompts]
- Am I Going Crazy? – Korn
- Are You The Hypnotist? – Flaming Lips
- Baby, Can I Hold You Tonight? – Tracy Chapman
- Can’t You Hear Me Knockin’? – Rolling Stones
- Do You Believe In Life After Love? – Cher
- Do You Believe In Rapture? – Sonic Youth
- Do You Know The Way To San Jose? – Dionne Warwick
- Do You Love Me? – The Contours
- Do You Really Want To Hurt Me? – Culture Club
- Do You Remember Rock & Roll Radio? – Ramones
- Have I Told You Lately? – Van Morrison
- Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman? – Bryan Adams
- Have You Ever Seen The Rain? – Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Have You Seen Her? – Chi-Lites
- Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby? – Rolling Stones
- How Can You Mend A Broken Heart? – BeeGees
- How Could You Believe Me When I Said I Love You When You Know I’ve Been A Liar All My Life – Fred Astaire
- How Much Is That Doggie In The Window? – Patti Page
- Life On Mars? – David Bowie
- Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now? – The Clash
- What Becomes Of The Broken-Hearted? Jimmy Ruffin
- What Does T.S. Eliot Know About You? – East River Pipe
- What Happened To You? – The Offspring
- What If God Was One Of Us? – Joan Osborne
- What Time Is It? – Spin Doctors
- What You Waiting For? – Gwen Stefani
- What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? – R.E.M.
- What’s My Age Again? – Blink 182
- What’s So Funny ‘Bout Peace, Love, And Understanding? – Elvis Costello
- Where Does The Ocean Go? – Katie Mellua
- Where Have All The Cowboys Gone – Paula Cole
- Which One Of Us Is The Fool? – Robert Palmer
- Who Are You? – The Who
- Who Do You Think You Are? – Spice Girls
- Who Makes You Feel? – Dido
- Who Wants To Live Forever? – Queen
- Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses? – U2
- Who’s Your Daddy?– Toby Keith
- Who’s Crying Now? – Journey
- Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under? – Shania Twain
- Why Can’t This Be Love? – Vanhalen
- Why Can’t We Be Friends? – War
- Why Do Fools Fall In Love? – Diana Ross
- Why Do I Keep Counting? – The Killers
- Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad? – Moby
- Why Don’t We Do It In The Road? – The Beatles
- Will You Marry Me? – Paula Abdul
- Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? – The Shirelles
- Would I Lie To You? – The Eurythmics
- Wouldn’t It Be Nice? – The Beach Boys
Writing every day is good for you. As we say at Writers Write: ‘A page a day keeps insanity at bay.‘ If you have any interesting lyric titles, please share them with us in the comments section below.
If you want to receive a daily prompt, click here to join our mailing list.
© Amanda Patterson
If you enjoyed this post, you will love