Some people just sit down and write without a plot outline. I prefer to plan ahead. I use a wall in my house to keep track of my story with a template for every scene and sequel. You can cover it in cork for best effect.
However, many of us live on our laptops or computers and using storytelling software is a simpler way to keep track of our stories.
5 Storytelling Software Options For Busy Writers:
Scrivener is the go-to app for writers of all kinds, used by novelists, screenwriters, and non-fiction writers. Scrivener does not tell you how to write—it simply provides everything you need to start writing and keep writing. It is touted as being for ‘the more messy-minded’. Scrivener integrates features on Word for planning, writing and structuring long texts. It is available as Scrivener 3 for macOS and Scrivener for Windows.
Aeon Timeline has tools and features to help you understand your characters, avoid plot holes and inconsistencies, and visualise your story in new ways.
It allows you to do things like:
- Model not only the events of your story, but the backstory of each of your characters.
- Capture relationships between events and your characters, locations, and story arcs.
- Visually group events by character, location, or arc (some events may appear in multiple groups), and change this selection at any time
Automatically calculate character ages for every event, allowing you to see how key moments would have affected and shaped your character.
- Look for plot-holes or inconsistencies in your story, where a character is expected to be in two places at once.
- Create your own custom fantasy calendar if your story takes place off-world.
StoryMill is designed to include all the elements essential to writing as well as providing a place for organising all the other parts and pieces.
You can use it as your place to write and revise using its distraction-free full screen. You can organise characters, locations, and scenes. You can set a daily writing goal and keep track of it using the Progress Meter. You can keep track of clichés and monitor how many times you use a word. There’s also a single place for all your research.
Storyist helps you track your plot, characters, and settings, and keeps all of your writing organised and accessible so you can focus on telling your story.
The Novel Factory is the ultimate novel writing software for writers.
It includes useful novel writing tools, including novel plotting software, how to write a novel, novel writing templates, character profile development questions, and templates.
If you enjoyed this post, read:
- 9 Useful Character Questionnaires For Writers
- 7 Reasons Why Introverts Make Good Writers
- 10 Good Reasons To Read More Books
- Is Your Backstory A Threat To Your Book?
- 7 Things You Can Do Today To Become A Better Blogger Tomorrow
If you’re inspired, educated, or entertained by our posts, please show your appreciation with a monthly donation.