World Mental Health Day is on 10 October every year. The objective is to raise awareness of mental health issues around the world and mobilise efforts in support of mental health. [The theme for 2016 is Psychological First Aid]
According to MentalHealth.gov:
"Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices.
Over the course of your life, if you experience mental health problems, your thinking, mood, and behaviour could be affected. Many factors contribute to mental health problems, including:
- Biological factors, such as genes or brain chemistry
- Life experiences, such as trauma or abuse
- Family history of mental health problems"
If you want to write about mental health issues, we encourage you to research the subject thoroughly and to approach experts in the field for advice.
We are not experts, but we do have resources and articles on the site that you may find helpful when creating troubled characters in fiction.
17 Resources For Writing About Troubled Fictional Characters
- Personality Disorders - DSM-5 Resource for Writers
- When Crazy Is Good - 9 Good Reasons For Your Character's Bad Behaviour
- Mental Illness - Writing Resource
- 9 Famous Anti-Social Fictional Characters
- Personality Disorders - A Writer's Resource
- Shades of Emotion - Creating Characters
- Types of Love - Creating Characters
- Universal Needs - Creating Characters
- Psychopath Or Sociopath - What's The Difference?
- Writing About Characters With Phobias
- 37 Ways To Write About Anger
- 9 Famous Fictional Narcissistic Mothers - And How To Write About Them
- How To Get Your Reader To Identify With An Unsympathetic Character
- The 15 Most Memorable Mothers in Literature
- 15 Fascinating Fathers From Fiction
- What Is Love? 12 Literary Couples Whose Love Will Last
- 9 Ways to Make Readers Care for an Amoral Protagonist
If you want to learn how to write a book, join our Writers Write course in Johannesburg.
If you enjoyed this article, read:
6 Ways To Publish A Book - Everything You Need To Know
Banned Books Week 2016 - The 10 Most Challenged Titles Of 2015
- 17 Questions A Reader Needs To Ask To Become A Better Writer
Writers Write offers the best writing courses in South Africa. Writers Write - Write to communicate.