- Plain language works.
- People prefer to understand what they’re reading.
- Communicating in language that is understandable shows respect to your reader.
There is a misconception that plain language is the process of “dumbing down” language. This is not the case. The message is not less effective because of plain language. In fact, plain language allows better understanding. Plain language is communicating with the reader in mind. It gets the message across quickly and effectively.
The effectiveness of your communication will increase if you:-
1. put yourself in the shoes of your reader; and
2. assume the reader doesn’t know anything of the subject matter.
By Michele van Eck. Michele has a BComm in business management and law, as well as an LLB and an LLM. With specialised qualifications in corporate and contractual law, Michele writes for De Rebus and has co-authored articles for TSAR.
- Why You Should Choose To Use Plain Language
- Writing In Plain Language – How To Remove Meaningless Phrases
- Communicate Clearly Or Face The Consequences
- 30 Famous Authors On Writing In Plain Language
- Are E-toll Terms And Conditions Written In Plain Language?
- How To Lose An Election In Plain Language
- 3 Ways To Write In Plain Language
- 8 Factors That Influence Plain Language
- Plain Language – Know Your Audience
- Why Plain Language Is Popular
- How The Law Defines Plain Language
- Plain Language Defined
- Plain Language Made Easy
Become a Writers Write patron:
If you’re inspired, educated, or entertained by our posts, please support us with a donation.