Writers Write creates writing resources, shares writing tips, and interviews authors. In this post, we share our interview with Mandy Wiener.
Our guest speaker at our literary dinner on 1 August 2013 was Mandy Wiener. The author of the best-selling book, Killing Kebble, Mandy is one of South Africa’s best known and most credible journalists and writers. Follow @MandyWiener on Twitter.
[We have started a new interview for guests called The Writers Write Interview. This is based on Amanda Patterson’s old format of 17 Questions and Answers for Authors. We’ve added a few more to make it 20 Questions. We hope you enjoy it.]
The Writers Write Interview With Mandy Wiener
Date of Birth: 26 November 1982
Date of Interview: 1 August 2013
Place: Ten Bompas Road, Dunkeld, Johannesburg
1. Who is your favourite hero of fiction?
Superman or Superwoman
2. What is your most treasured possession?
3. Which living person do you most dislike?
4. What is your greatest fear?
5. Who or what has been the greatest love of your life?
Sean, my husband, and books!
6. What is your greatest regret?
The handful of factual errors I’ve made in stories. I remember them all.
7. If you could choose to be a character in a book, who would it be?
Allan Karlsson from The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
8. Which book have you read the most in your lifetime?
The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay
9. What is your favourite journey?
My annual trip to the bush.
10. What is your favourite quotation?
Can I have two? ‘You make your own luck.’ and ‘Life is too short for bad coffee and shit books.’
11. Dogs or Cats? Which do you prefer?
12. What do you most value in a friend?
13. What quality do you most admire in a woman?
14. Which book that you’ve written is your favourite?
Killing Kebble (I’ve only written one)
15. What are your favourite names?
Kalel (Superman’s real name)
16. What do you do as a hobby?
I read and I watch awful awful reality television, like Keeping up with the Kardashians
17. Which are your three favourite books?
- Oh, the Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss
- Country of My Skull by Antjie Krog
- The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald
18. Where do you get your greatest ideas for writing?
19. What is your Writing Routine?
I write in the early mornings. I get up at 5am and write for two or three hours. But before that I make a pot of coffee and waste time on the Internet for hours. I’m lucky that I’m deadline driven and that makes me work.
20. What are your Top Five Writing Tips?
- Start. And finish.
- Never delete anything you’ve written. Keep it somewhere.
- Read a lot. Write about the things you love to read.
- Look up words you love. I have a word pantry in my head and I find places to use them in my writing.
- Trust your editor.
Interviewer: Amanda Patterson
If you want to read more of our interviews, click here