Author: Sam Cowen
Birthday: 12 August 1973
Date: 8 April 2009
Where: Sandton, South Africa
The Book: The Irreverent Mothers Handbook by Sam Cowen & Lee van Loggerenberg
Sam Cowen is the co-host of The Rude Awakening, 94.7’s breakfast show, and also presents e.tv’s Great Expectations, a 21st-century guide to parenting. She is the author of the bestselling Waiting for Christopher and its follow-up, Good Enough Mother.
1. Who is your favourite hero of fiction?
2. What is your most treasured possession?
You’re joking ? In Joburg ? You want me to actually write that down ? Why don’t I just write down where I keep it ? What it’s worth and how insured it is ? Have I had too much coffee ? It’s possible…….
3. Which living person do you most dislike?
It’s less a person and more a type. People who don’t strap their kids into their seatbelts. And People who throw rubbish out of the car window. And people who proudly tell you they’ve never read a book in their lives…
4. What is your greatest fear?
Outliving my children
5. Who or what has been the greatest love of your life?
Martin and the kids. Obviously. He’s reading this, you know.
6. What is your greatest regret?
Not trusting myself earlier on in life.
7. If you could choose to be a character in a book, who would it be?
Someone who gets very rich for being charming. Travis McGee, I reckon. Written about by John D MacDonald.
8. Which book have you read the most in your lifetime?
The Portrait of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
9. What is your favourite journey?
I haven’t made it yet.
10. Cats or dogs? Which do you prefer?
11. What quality do you most admire in a woman?
12. Which book that you’ve written is your favourite?
It’s not finished.
13. What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
Write. Even if it’s not very good that day. Even if you think William Shakespeare would laugh and Vladimir Nabokov would spit in your eye, write. Every day if possible.
14. What are your favourite names?
15. What do you do as a hobby?
Read, and garden. Man, that sounds old.
16. What are your top three books?
- Anything by Graham Greene,
- American Psycho by Bret Eason Ellis
- All the Lucia books by E.F. Benson
17. Where do you get your greatest ideas for writing?
My life, my friends and overheard conversations…..