Author: Peter Godwin
Birthday: 4 December 1957
Date: 6 November 2006
Where: The Hyatt Hotel, Rosebank
The Book: When a Crocodile Eats the Sun (Picador)
1. Who is your favourite hero of fiction?
2. What is your most treasured possession?
It would have to be my Apple laptop… Or my grandfather’s Navy dogtag.
3. Which living person do you most dislike?
Myself, on occasion
4. What is your greatest fear?
5. Who or what has been the greatest love of your life?
My kids – being a parent opens up a new chamber in your heart.
6. What is your greatest regret?
Gosh, there are so many. Not reaching my father before he died.
7. If you could choose to be a character in a book, who would it be?
One of Graham Greene’s whiskey priests.
8. Which book have you read the most in your lifetime?
Catholic Order of Service – in daily mass at Jesuit College.
9. What is your favourite journey?
Up the Chimanimani mountains in Eastern Zimbabwe
10. Which do you prefer? Cats or Dogs?
11. What quality do you most admire in a woman?
12. Which book that you’ve written is your favourite?
My latest one, of course: When A Crodile Eats The Sun
13. What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
14. What are your favourite names?
Hugo, Thomas, and Holly
15. What do you do as a hobby?
16. What are your top three books?
The Soul of the White Ant by Eugene Marais The Emigrants by W G Sebald In a Free State by V S Naipaul
17. Where do you get your greatest ideas for writing?