Author: George Bizos
Date of Birth: 14 November 1928
Date: 20 September 2007
Place: The Local Grill, Parktown North
Book: Odyssey to Freedom
1. Who is your favourite hero in fiction? Zorba, the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis
2. What is your most treasured possession? I don’t know if I have any.
3. Which living person do you most dislike? Robert Mugabe, a profligate and crafty politician.
4. What is your greatest fear? I have terrible dreams of being late for court!
5. Who or what has been the greatest love of your life? Arethe, my wife.
6. What is your greatest regret? Cases I have lost that I could possibly have won.
7. If you could choose to be a character in a book, who would it be? I think Bram Fischer would make a fascinating character.
8. Which book have you read the most in your lifetime? Kimon Friar’s Translation of Modern Greek Poetry.
9. What is your favourite journey? To the village where I was born, Vasiliti (Greece)
10. Cats or dogs? Which do you prefer? I have one dog; I don’t like cats.
11. What quality do you most admire in a woman? When I was young, I went to visit Arethe. I was caught in the rain. She gave me the largest, fluffiest towel to dry myself with. This quality of kindness deeply touched me.
12. Which book that you’ve written is your favourite? I’m glad I wrote both No One to Blame and Odyssey to Freedom.
13. What advice would you give to aspiring authors? I have never kept a diary. What you can’t remember is not worth writing about.
14. What are your favourite names? The names of great historical figures. My three sons’ names reflect this. Damon, Anthony Kimon and Alexi.
15. What do you do as a hobby? Gardening. I’m pleased my olive tree is finally bearing fruit.
16. What are your top three books?
- Kimon Friar – Translation of Modern Greek Poetry
- Leo Tolstoy – War and Peace
- Victor Hugo – Les Miserables
17. Where do you get your ideas for writing? I wrote No One to Blame because I was angry, because of the lies being told some people seeking amnesty, those trying to defeat the ends of justice.
Anthony Ehlers, 20 September 2007
Editor’s Note (added 2017): George Bizos has just released his latest book: 65 Years of Friendship
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar