This is an interesting way to look at the layers of a story. Many writers believe that stories begin with characters and the plot develops from them.
This chart says that for a story to work, a character needs five things. He or she needs something:
- To care about.
- To want.
- To dread.
- To suffer.
- To learn.
The remainder of the story will develop from these needs.
Original Source: @DanielSchwabauer, www.oneyearnovel.com
If you enjoyed this post, read these:
- 15 Questions Authors Should Ask Characters
- Torture your Character – The 3 Most Effective Types of Inner Conflict
- Character Development Checklist
- Universal Needs – Creating Characters
- 7 Essential Things To Remember About Very Important Characters
- 3 Simple Ways To Get Your Hero To Make A Stand