It’s time to submit your fourth poem for 2019. The prompt is ‘Gender’ and I look forward to reading your poems. This month there are no specific guidelines and it’s quite a change after the strict and challenging guidelines of the sonnet. I was almost at a loss for a time without the rigid rules. I hope you enjoyed the freedom of this month’s poem.
I will accept and approve posts for GENDER from 1 May 2019, 8:00 (Johannesburg time | GMT +2:00), until 2 May 2019, 8:00 (Johannesburg time | GMT +2:00) on 12shortstories.com.
Please ask Google to figure out what time that will be in your part of the world.
Please submit your poem on www.12shortstories.com.
- Log in.
- Submit (Top right).
- Complete the form.
- Select the correct category: Poetry Prompt 4: Gender
- Do not select any other category.
- Submit for approval.
- Read and comment on four other poems. Please spread the love. Look for poems that haven’t been read, instead of everyone reading and commenting on the same poems.
Those of us trying it for the first time this post may find this post helpful. How To Write & Talk About Poetry
- This is an exercise in discipline. The comments are a bonus. There is no prize because I want you to focus on writing for yourself and to try and take more risks.
- Be kind when you comment. Start with a positive comment, suggest an improvement, and end with something positive. We are here to learn.
- Our next prompt is at the end of this post.
A few more points:
- I will try to read as many posts as possible, but I do have a day job that I would like to keep.
- NO hate speech. None. If you see something nasty that I should be made aware of, please send me a message.
- Be careful of profanity.
- I need to approve every post. Please be patient with me. I am teaching during the day and I will approve them as quickly as I can. They will all go up.
Can I still join?
You can join the 12 Short Story or Poetry Challenge in any month. So, if you start in June, that will be month one for you and then May 2019 will be month 12. Sign up on www.12shortstories.com
Here is my poem for ‘Gender’:
I Am Here by Mia Botha I I am I am here I am here today I am here today instead I am here today instead of in a kitchen, in a bedroom, in my place. I am here because my mother, my sister, my aunt, my grandmother I am here today instead
And here is Prompt 5 for 2019:
by Mia Botha
If you enjoyed this post, you will love:
- Poetry 101: Kinds Of Poems – The Haiku
- Poetry 101: Creating Figurative Language Using Literary Devices
- Poetry 101: How To Analyse A Poem
- Poetry 101: Kinds Of Poems – Free Verse
- Poetry 101: Kinds Of Poems – The Sonnet
- Poetry 101: What Is A Poem?
- 15 Reasons To Write Poetry
The Poems Challenge:
- Submit Your Third Poem For 2019
- Submit Your Second Poem For 2019
- Submit Your First Poem For 2019
- Welcome To The 12 Poems Challenge For 2019
We love what we do. If you’re inspired, educated, or entertained by our posts, please support us with a donation.
Or make a once-off donation via PayPal