Write Something. Move Someone.
The AVBOB Poetry Competition aims to build a bridge between the comfort to be found in the words of poets and the people who so desperately need to hear those words.
Just by giving a voice to your thoughts and emotions through poetry, you could touch the lives of thousands of people, be published alongside established poets, and stand in line for the coveted AVBOB Poetry Prize.
What exactly is at stake in the AVBOB Poetry Competition?
By entering the AVBOB Poetry Competition, you stand in line for any of the following three opportunities:
- To be published on the AVBOB poetry website (for which you will be paid R300 per poem accepted)*;
- To win one of the 11 AVBOB Poetry Prizes of R10 000 awarded in each language category*;
- To have your work featured alongside that of acclaimed poets in a print anthology that will be published in August 2018*.
Who can enter the AVBOB Poetry Competition?
- The AVBOB Poetry Competition is literally open to our entire rainbow nation, as it caters for all South Africans of any age or language.
- Your poem may be written in any of the 11 official South African languages.
- To ensure that all entries are judged fairly, an editor has been appointed in each language category.
How do I enter the competition?
To enter the AVBOB Poetry Competition, you just need to go to www.avbobpoetry.co.za and complete four easy online steps. To see just how simple the process is, click here to watch the ‘how to enter’ video.
How many times can I enter?
You may enter as many poems as you like, until the competition closes.
When does the competition close?
The competition closes at midnight on 30 November 2017.
Are there any editorial guidelines that I should follow?
A comprehensive list of the evaluation criteria and editorial guidelines can be found at www.avbobpoetry.co.za. Poems will be judged on elements such as technical excellence, structure, rhyme and meter, assonance and alliteration, choice of words and readability, form and flow, entertainment or educational value, emotive power, overall impact and refinement.
Do you need more information?
If you have queries, please contact the organisers: Contact Details
*Terms and conditions apply.
Advertise With Us
If you want to advertise with us, please mail email@example.com to request our media kit, which includes all the metrics and advertising options.