In this post from Writers Write, your one-stop writing resource, we share a selection of our favourite quotes about the moon.
A Blue Moon occurs when there are two full moons in one calendar month.
To celebrate today’s blue moon, I have chosen 12 of my favourite quotes inspired by the moon.
12 Literary Quotes About The Moon
- Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. ~Anton Chekhov
- The night walked down the sky with the moon in her hand. ~Frederic Lawrence Knowles
- The moon had been observing the earth close-up longer than anyone. It must have witnessed all of the phenomena occurring – and all of the acts carried out – on this earth. But the moon remained silent; it told no stories. All it did was embrace the heavy past with a cool, measured detachment. On the moon there was neither air nor wind. Its vacuum was perfect for preserving memories unscathed. No one could unlock the heart of the moon. ~Haruki Murakami
- Yours is the light by which my spirit’s born: – you are my sun, my moon, and all my stars. ~E.E. Cummings
- Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars. ~J.R.R. Tolkien
- Tell me the story about how the sun loved the moon so much he died every night to let her breathe. ~Lokesh Fouzdar
- If the Sun and Moon should ever doubt, they’d immediately go out. ~William Blake
- It enclosed us in its laceries as we watched the moon spill across the Atlantic like wine from an overturned glass. With the light all around us, we felt secret in that moon-infused water like pearls forming in the soft tissues of oysters. ~Pat Conroy
- Moonlight is sculpture. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne
- There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls. ~George Carlin
- So, we’ll go no more a roving So late into the night , Though the heart be still as loving, And the moon be still as bright. ~Lord Byron
- If the moon smiled, she would resemble you. You leave the same impression Of something beautiful, but annihilating. ~Sylvia Plath
I also looked for a selection of novels with the word ‘moon’ in their titles.
10 Books With ‘Moon’ In The Title
- The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein
- Moon Palace by Paul Auster
- Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
- Turtle Moon by Alice Hoffman
- Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively
- The Glimpses of the Moon by Edith Wharton
- On the Night of the Seventh Moon by Victoria Holt
- Wolf Moon by Charles de Lint
- The Moon and Sixpence by W. Somerset Maugham
- Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen
Top Tip: Find out more about our Writing Courses. If you want to learn how to write, join us in Johannesburg or sign up for our online courses.
If you enjoyed this post, you may want to read: