If you are participating in the 12 Short Stories Challenge, today is the day to submit your seventh short story for 2019, using the prompt: Men And Women.
Ladies and gentlemen, it’s time to submit your short, short stories for the prompt, Men and Women. Only 300 words! It’s always a favourite part of the challenge for me. I love the challenge of telling a whole story with so few words. Did you enjoy it?
I will accept and approve posts for Men and Women (Word count: 300 words) from 17 July 2019, 8:00 (Johannesburg time | GMT +2:00), until 18 July 2019, 8:00 (Johannesburg time | GMT +2:00) on 12shortstories.com. Please ask Google to figure out what time that will be in your part of the world.
Please submit your story on www.12shortstories.com
- Log in.
- Submit (Top right).
- Complete the form.
- Select the correct category: Prompt 7: Men and Women
- Do not select any other category.
- Your story must be 300 words. I won’t approve stories under 250 or over 350 words.
- Submit for approval.
- Read and comment on four other stories. Please spread the love. Look for stories that haven’t been read, instead of everyone reading and commenting on the same stories. If you want tips on how to comment, read this post: The Complete Guide To Evaluating Your Short Story.
- This is an exercise in discipline. The comments are a bonus. There is no prize because I want you to focus on writing for yourself and to try and take more risks.
- Be kind when you comment. Start with a positive comment, suggest an improvement, and end with something positive. We are here to learn.
- Our next prompt is at the end of this post.
A few more points:
- I will try to read as many posts as possible, but I do have a day job that I would like to keep.
- NO hate speech. None. If you see something nasty that I should be made aware of, please send me a message.
- Be careful of profanity.
- I need to approve every post. Please be patient with me. I am teaching during the day and I will approve them as quickly as I can. They will all go up.
Can I still join?
You can join the 12 Short Story Challenge in any month. So, if you start in June, that will be month one for you and then May 2019 will be month 12. Sign up on www.12shortstories.com
Here is my short story:
Charity by Mia Botha Prompt: Men and women| Genre: Weird Crime | Word count: 300 words exactly | Warning: Sex and violence “You can leave the money over there,” she tugs on the satin bow letting her robe part. The tiny hotel room stinks of too many nights like this, too many cigarettes, too many people. He fumbles with his wallet and places a few dollars on the table. “So what did you have in mind?” she reaches up and pulls on his tie. “Something good?” she runs her finger along his jaw, “or would like something else entirely?” She slips up the knot of the tie, his eyes go wide. He tries to push her hands away, but she gives it another moment more before pulling the knot down. He gasps, sucking air into his lungs. His eyes meet hers. She pushes him back on to the bed. “Did you like that?” She smiles. He nods, but he’s unsure. “Can I touch you?” She lies down next to him. ”What do you like? I can do anything.” He slips a shaky finger under her bra strap. “Have you done this before, paid someone?” He shakes his head. “I’m going to have to be good then.” “Girls are always good, but please don’t be.” He’s eager. Panting. “Do you really think so? When there are so many bad women in the world. Women who get paid for this?” “But you have no other choice. You wouldn’t do this if you could help it.” So earnest. So naïve. “I do need the money. It’s almost like you’re supporting a charity, right?” He nods. “You are a good man. Thank you.” She smiles and slips the needle into his neck. His eyes flare one more time and go blank. She picks up the phone. “He’s ready, Doctor.” She takes the money and adds it to the fat envelope the doctor hands her. Charity indeed.
Here is the eighth prompt for the 2019 challenge:
Top Tip: If you want to learn how to write a short story, sign up for our online course.
by Mia Botha
If you enjoyed this post, you will love:
- Love Is Never The Goal – Even When You Write Romance
- Should Men Write Romance?
- Learn How To Write A Romance Novel
- Poetry 101: Kinds Of Poems – The Haiku
- Poetry 101: Creating Figurative Language Using Literary Devices
- 8 Awesome Reasons To Join An Online Course
Short Story Challenge:
- Lethal – Submit Your Sixth Short Story Today
- Rome – Submit Your Fifth Short Story Today
- Cut-Throat – Submit Your Fourth Short Story Today
- Tag – Submit Your Third Short Story Today
- New Me – Submit Your Second Short Story Today
- No One Can Know – Submit Your First Short Story Today
- Welcome To The 12 Short Stories Writing Challenge For 2019