Happy Birthday, Guillermo del Toro, born 9 October 1964
- The point of being over 40 is to fulfil the desires you’ve been harbouring since you were 7.
- I think there is a very quiet power in things that are not on screen.
- Power revealed is power sacrificed. The truly powerful exert their influence in ways unseen, unfelt. Some would say that a thing visible is a thing vulnerable.
- There is beautiful in the grotesque.
- In the end, perfection is just a concept – an impossibility we use to torture ourselves and that contradicts nature.
- If you get bored with nothing to do, you are not a writer.
- Genius is the true mystery, and at its edge—the abyss.
- But I think we are seeing a resurgence of the graphic ghost story like The Others, Devil’s Backbone and The Sixth Sense. It is a return to more Gothic atmospheric ghost storytelling.
- Even if one understands that what one is doing is mad, it is indeed still madness.
Guillermo del Toro is a Mexican film director, screenwriter, producer, and novelist. Del Toro’s film credits include The Devil’s Backbone, Pan’s Labyrinth, and Pacific Rim. His novels include The Strain, The Night Eternal, The Fall, and The Monsters of Hellboy II.
Source for image