Happy Birthday, Roger McGough, born 9 November 1937
- I started writing poems at university and found a voice; a person within myself. I knew I would write poetry for the rest of my life.
- If I decide to be indecisive, that’s my decision.
- I am not a natural story-teller and find writing stories quite a slog. Poems, however, seem to come out of the air.
- It’s just like a nervous need and a reaction to write all the time. I think if I’m not writing poetry I’m not doing anything worthwhile. I do write every day, but I don’t write a poem every day, just notes, doodles, and drawings.
- I discovered poetry in a physics lesson at St Mary’s College. ‘To hell with this, let’s have some poetry,’ Brother Ryan said, and he’d close his eyes and recite a poem in Gaelic. I was transfixed.
Source for image
If you enjoy our posts and resources, please consider this:
- If you’re inspired, educated, or entertained by our posts, please support us with a small monthly (or once-off) donation.
- You can help us keep Writers Write about writing – and free of clutter and advertising.