Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar
Happy Birthday, Jon Scieszka, born 8 September 1954
- Read as much as you can, and then sit down and write.
- My ideas come from all different things: my kids, kids I’ve taught, kids I’ve learned from, watching movies, playing with my cat, talking to my wife, staring out the window, and about a million other places. But what turns the ideas into stories and books is sitting down and writing and re-writing and throwing away writing and writing some more. That’s the hard part.
- I never know exactly how long it takes to write a story. I read a lot of stuff, think about different stories all the time, scribble things down on paper, type them up, change them, scribble again, think some more, add things….
- I write books because I love to make kids laugh.
- My motto in writing is: “Never underestimate the intelligence of your audience.”
- Expand the definition of ‘reading’ to include non-fiction, humour, graphic novels, magazines, action adventure, and, yes, even websites. It’s the pleasure of reading that counts; the focus will naturally broaden. A boy won’t read shark books forever.
- Be a good reading role model. Show kids what you like to read, what you don’t like to read, how you choose what you read. Let them see you reading.
- If the day gets really bad, I can always pull out fan mail. Who else gets mail where kids write to you and say, ‘Dear Mr. Scieszka, we were supposed to write to our favourite author, but Roald Dahl is dead. So I’m writing to you.’
- Your brain is doing some great work when it’s laughing.
Jon Scieszka is an American children’s writer. He is well known for his bestselling picture books, which include The True Story of the Three Little Pigs and The Stinky Cheese Man. He is also the founder of GUYS READ. Read more about him here Jon Scieszka – Just The Facts