Happy Birthday, Thomas Pynchon, born 8 May 1937
Thomas Pynchon Quotes
- The general public has long been divided into two parts; those who think that science can do anything and those who are afraid it will.
- It is simply wrong to begin with a theme, symbol or other abstract unifying agent, and then try to force characters and events to conform to it.
- Why should things be easy to understand?
- Let me be unambiguous. I prefer not to be photographed.
- Everybody gets told to write about what they know. The trouble with many of us is that at the earlier stages of life we think we know everything- or to put it more usefully, we are often unaware of the scope and structure of our ignorance.
- If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.
- Life’s single lesson: that there is more accident to it than a man can ever admit to in a lifetime and stay sane.
Thomas Pynchon is an American literary novelist. His called a recluse and is seldom interviewed or photographed. He is well known for Gravity’s Rainbow, which won the National Book Award for Fiction. He is known to be a contender for the Nobel Prize in Literature.
Source for Image