Happy Birthday, Alice Sebold, born 6 September 1963
- The process of writing is why I write. You know, it’s the typical quote of ‘The journey is the destination’, so the actual writing of the sentences and the playing with the language and the creating of the characters is why I do it.
- It wasn’t my dream to grow up, get raped and write a book about it. I always dreamed of being a novelist.
- I wake up very early in the morning. I like to start in the dark, and I never work at night, because my brain is evaporated by 4 p.m.
- I only owe readers what I owe myself, which is to continue to write my books. I just want to write and read and walk my dog. You know, I’m very simple.
- Depending on where I am in the process, sometimes I have a page count and sometimes I don’t. Sometimes I have an hour count; sometimes I’m just happy to string a few words together. I do keep pretty rigorous hours, because otherwise you never get anything done.
- I was motivated to write about violence because I believe it’s not unusual. I see it as just a part of life, and I think we get in trouble when we separate people who’ve experienced it from those who haven’t.
- I have always felt extremely weird. But I am very happy with my weirdnesses, and I want other people to be very happy with theirs.
Source for Image