Happy Birthday, J.K. Rowling, born 31 July 1965
- The most important thing is to read as much as you can, like I did. It will give you an understanding of what makes good writing and it will enlarge your vocabulary.
- Jane Austen is the pinnacle to which all other authors aspire.
- It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default.
- I would like to be remembered as someone who did the best she could with the talent she had.
- I always have a basic plot outline.
- One of my regrets would be that I will never again have the pleasure of sneaking into a cafe, any cafe I like, sitting down and diving into my world and no one knowing what I am doing and no one bothering about me and being totally anonymous, that was fantastic.
- Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.
- It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.
- The wizards represent all that the true ‘muggle’ most fears: They are plainly outcasts and comfortable with being so. Nothing is more unnerving to the truly conventional than the unashamed misfit!
- In a novel you have to resist the urge to tell everything.
- I can, and do, write all over my house, and many other places besides. I love writing in bed, and I’ve got a favourite chair in our sitting room, where I sometimes go with my laptop if I fancy a change of scene.
- If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.
- I imagined being a famous writer would be like being like Jane Austen. Being able to sit at home in the parsonage and your books would be very famous and occasionally you would correspond with the Prince of Wales’s secretary.
- No story lives unless someone wants to listen.
- You have to resign yourself to wasting lots of trees before you write anything really good. That’s just how it is. It’s like learning an instrument. You’ve got to be prepared for hitting wrong notes occasionally, or quite a lot. That’s just part of the learning process. And read a lot. Reading a lot really helps. Read anything you can get your hands on.
J.K. Rowling is a British novelist, best known as the author of the Harry Potter fantasy series. The Potter books have sold more than 400 million copies. They have become the best-selling book series in history and they are the basis for a series of films which have become the highest-grossing film series in history.
Source for Image