Happy Birthday, Rachel Caine, born 27 April 1962
Rachel Caine Quotes
- I do my best work in the mornings, the earlier the better, so I try hard to get up at 5 a.m. or so, and work about eight hours, then knock off for lunch. I usually run errands in the afternoons and work on business items at night.
- I never let myself take more than one day off, unless I’m sick. If I get stuck on a story, I try reading it from the beginning, which often does the trick, or if it doesn’t, I jump forward to the next thing I want to write in the timeline.
- Some people work better to go ‘seat of the pants’ … and some won’t start a road trip without a map. I’m a bit of both … I like a road map, but I’m not averse to taking interesting side roads too. I usually have a loose outline.
- I recommend strongly that aspiring authors read extensively – not just fiction, not just non-fiction, in every field.
- Talk to other writers. Surround yourself with energetic people who are enthusiastic about the craft and the process. Go to conferences and conventions. Take workshops.
- Most of all, love what you do, because it’s much better to do this for love than money. If you’re very lucky, money will come… but love rewards you every day.
Rachel Caine is an American writer of science fiction, fantasy, mystery, suspense, and horror novels. She writes under the pseudonyms Roxanne Longstreet, Roxanne Conrad, Ian Hammel, and Julie Fortune. She is the bestselling author of more than fifty novels, including the thriller Stillhouse Lake and the internationally bestselling Morganville Vampires series.
Source for image.