Antonio Machado was born 26 July 1875, and died 22 February 1939
- In order to write poetry, you must first invent a poet who will write it.
- Traveller, there is no path – Paths are made by walking.
- Don’t try to rush things: for the cup to run over, it must first be filled.
- My philosophy is fundamentally sad, but I’m not a sad man, and I don’t believe I sadden anyone else. In other words, the fact that I don’t put my philosophy into practice saves me from its evil spell, or, rather, my faith in the human race is stronger then my intellectual analysis of it; there lies the fountain of youth in which my heart is continually bathing.
- Beyond living and dreaming there is something more important. Waking up.
Antonio Machado was a Spanish poet and one of the leading figures of the Spanish literary movement known as the Generation of ‘98. His works are available in Border of a Dream: Selected Poems of Antonio Machado.
Source for Image
Please click here for more authors’ birthdays: Literary Birthday Calendar