Happy Birthday, Vera Nazarian, born 25 May 1966
- Each letter of the alphabet is a steadfast loyal soldier in a great army of words, sentences, paragraphs, and stories. One letter falls, and the entire language falters.
- When you reach for the stars, you are reaching for the farthest thing out there. When you reach deep into yourself, it is the same thing, but in the opposite direction. If you reach in both directions, you will have spanned the universe.
- Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light.
- My advice for aspiring writers is threefold.First, read as much as possible, both within and outside the genre you are working in. By reading you hone your internal ear for style. Second, write. Everything comes down to it; unless you write, you are not a writer. Third, submit your work.
- Stop chasing every seductive new market out there, and stop trying to write for the tastes of specific established professional markets and editors. That way lies mediocrity and eventual
dissolution of your true voice, no matter how embryonic or pronounced it may be now.
- Everything I write now might have roots in myths, often disguised,often dissolved into new multi-ethnic myths of my own making.
- Once upon a time, began the story of you. Many perilous, wonderful, harrowing, brilliant, delightful, profound things happened. And yet—the most exciting twists and best turns are yet to come. And it absolutely does not matter how old or young you are. Like a bright carpet of wonders, enjoy the unrolling of your story.
- My characters often start out with a loss of some sort, usually a loss of emotion or purpose or hope. What I do in the course of my writing is weave a thematic arc of fulfilment. It is my constant theme as a creator.
- Use this day to do something daring, extraordinary and unlike yourself. Take a chance and shape a different pattern in your personal cloud of probability!
Vera Nazarian is an American author. She writes fantasy, science fiction and other ‘wonder fiction’ including Mythpunk. She is also an artist, and the publisher of Norilana Books. Her novels include Qualify, Lords of Rainbow, and The Witch Who Made Adjustments. Visit her website: Vera Nazarian
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar