Happy Birthday, John Lanchester, born 25 February 1962
- The standard personality type for a writer is a shy megalomaniac.
- We wouldn’t care so much what people thought of us if we knew how seldom they did.
- Sometimes, the only way of doing something is to do it.
- I write non-fiction quicker and I write it on a computer. Fiction I write longhand and that helps make it clear that it comes from a slightly different part of the brain, I think. The other distinction is that with non-fiction I’m constantly editing as I go along and with fiction I don’t. If you engage the critical part of you it makes it much harder and actually you just need to get through a first draft. (via)
- I don’t answer the phone or do my email; I don’t do anything until I’ve got the day’s writing done. I have a word count for every day: 500 for fiction, 1,000 for non-fiction and journalism is 1,500. That’s a level I can sustain. (via)
Source for image
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar