Happy Birthday, Jennie Shortridge, born 23 September 1959
- I have always written, even when not being paid to, trying to examine the universal story through a personal lens. I write to put another voice, another viewpoint, out into a world where too many of the voices I hear aren’t telling my story, or my family’s and friends’ stories.
- Reading was my salvation as a kid, and now, writing is.
- I write with an agenda, to expose and examine things that I think are worth thinking and talking about. I write because, truly, I love every minute of it and can’t imagine doing anything else.
- I believe we’re innate storytellers, with story structure passed down through the ages and present now in much the same way it always has been. I write to that innate sense, that rhythm of rising tension and relief. I study structure a lot, but in the end, when I write, I just follow how the story wants to be told. The content dictates the structure.
- Learn your craft. Then practise, practise, practise. Marketing? Think about it in five years.
Jennie Shortridge is an American best-selling novelist and off-and-on musician. She is the author of Love Water Memory, When She Flew, Love and Biology at the Center of the Universe, Eating Heaven, and Riding With the Queen.