Happy Birthday, Julia Glass, born 23 March 1956
- People take their same old lives wherever they go. No place is perfect enough to strip you of that.
- There were quite a lot of books throughout, tumbling out of haphazardly placed bookshelves, stacked beneath chairs, beside beds, even in the bottoms of a closet or two. But I was never a ‘collector’. My love of books is a love of what they contain; they hold knowledge as a pitcher holds water, as a dress contains the mystery of a woman’s exquisite body. Their physicality matters—do not speak to me of storing books as bytes!—but they should not inspire fetishistic devotion.
- Read like a maniac; your best teachers will always be the best writers you read.
- Understand that success in writing may (a) take a long time (for me, seven years to publish a short story, seven more to publish a book) and (b), once it arrives not offer you much in the way of financial reward.
- Iif you like the company of other people, try a good workshop. I am always amazed at how energizing it is for most writers who attend. I got where I am the lonely way and sometimes wonder if I missed out on something—and if maybe I’d have been published sooner if I’d had a broader network. In the end, connections do help.
- Mind who you love. For that matter, mind how you are loved.
- You have not truly met someone until you have looked him or her in the eye as a soul with a place in your future.
- When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be.
- Ever noticed how sisters, when they aren’t best friends, make particularly vicious enemies?
- What is the biggest tragedy you wouldn’t be conscious of? Letting life pass you by. Living like a starfish, clinging to your one unchanging colourless rock.
- I’d rather be pleasantly surprised than fatally disappointed.
- We’re all alive the day before we die.
Julia Glass is an American author whose début novel, Three Junes, won the National Book Award for Fiction in 2002.
If you’re inspired, educated, or entertained by our posts, please show your love with a donation.