Happy Birthday, Jonathan Ames, born 23 March 1964
10 Jonathan Ames Quotes
- Oh, God, I don’t know what’s more difficult, life or the English language.
- I’ve always been intrigued by Stockholm Syndrome. Reminds me of my childhood.
- People don’t expect too much from literature. They just want to know they’re not alone with being confused.
- I live for coincidences. They briefly give to me the illusion or the hope that there’s a pattern to my life, and if there’s a pattern, then maybe I’m moving toward some kind of destiny where it’s all explained.
- For me, books have always been a way to feel less alone while being alone.
- A lot of writing is a form of seeing – putting down what you see in terms of action and landscape.
- I drink coffee. Without coffee, I probably couldn’t write.
- A lot of writers, probably because they’re sensitive, which makes them want to be writers, have fears about their masculinity, so they overcompensate by having an interest in boxing and tough-guy things.
- I might have some sort of personality disorder. I might not have proper filters; it might be some kind of version of Asperger’s meets Tourettes meets prose.
- When I was in college, I had the good fortune to have Joyce Carol Oates as my writing teacher. She told me that I could take an aspect of myself, and from that one bit of personality, I can create a character. This is what I have done, particularly in my novels.
Jonathan Ames is an American author of novels and comic memoirs, which include Wake Up, Sir! and The Extra Man. He was also a columnist for the New York Press. He created the HBO television series Bored to Death.
Source for Image: Chris Buck for the Observer
If you’re inspired, educated, or entertained by our posts, please show your love with a donation.