J. P. Donleavy was born 23 April 1926 and died 11 September 2017
J. P. Donleavy Quotes
- Writing is turning one’s worst moments into money.
- Electronic books are a bad thing because they cannot be accumulated on shelves to remind you of your past, to impress your neighbours and colleagues, and to help prevent divorces thanks to the sheer bother of arguing over who owns what.
- The purpose of writing is to make your mother and father drop dead with shame.
- I got disappointed in human nature as well and gave it up because I found it too much like my own.
- Sometimes you write and you find yourself almost wondering how it will turn out.
- Rid the mind of knowledge when looking for pleasure. Or start thinking and find a lot of pain.
James Patrick Donleavy was an Irish-American novelist and playwright. His best-known work is the novel The Ginger Man, which was initially banned for obscenity. Other books include The Onion Eaters and A Fairy Tale of New York.
Source for image
If you’re inspired, educated, or entertained by our posts, please support us with a small monthly donation.