Happy Birthday, Tom Robbins, born 22 July 1936
- We’re our own dragons as well as our own heroes, and we have to rescue ourselves from ourselves.
- I set myself a goal of two pages a day. Some days I get it, some days I don’t. If I’m writing dialogue I can usually get more than that because I can write dialogue fairly quickly. But the descriptive passages, the philosophical passages where I’m paying even more attention to imagery and to metaphors and similes and figures of speech, that comes very slow. I try never to leave a sentence until I think that it’s as perfect as I can make it.
- If little else, the brain is an educational toy.
- I think the novels that are most important are those that are more on the order of those coyotes that howl on the hills outside of town. Something mysterious and wild and hypnotic.
- The highest function of love is that it makes the loved one a unique and irreplacable being.
- Curiosity, especially intellectual inquisitiveness, is what separates the truly alive from those who are merely going through the motions.
- There are many things worth living for, a few things worth dying for, and nothing worth killing for.
- I just want to write and follow my own spiritual path and enjoy life and not have to be some kind of media figure or icon or minor celebrity.
- If you believe in peace, act peacefully; if you believe in love, acting lovingly; if you believe every which way, then act every which way, that’s perfectly valid — but don’t go out trying to sell your beliefs to the system. You end up contradicting what you profess to believe in, and you set a bum example. If you want to change the world, change yourself.
- A sense of humour, properly developed, is superior to any religion so far devised.
Tom Robbins is an American author. His novels are complex, satirical, and often obscure. Even Cowgirls Get the Blues was made into a movie in 1993 directed by Gus Van Sant.
Source for Image
If you enjoy our posts and resources, please consider this:
If you’re inspired, educated, or entertained by our posts, please support us with a small monthly donation.