Happy Birthday, Akhil Sharma, born 22 July 1971
- I don’t really revise. I tend to rewrite.
- Novels should be judged rigorously. Either a book works or it doesn’t. The fact that something is true in the real world should not lend authority to it in fiction.
- Vanishing into books, I felt held.
- It is hard to create a first-person narrator that can be a child and yet is able to take in enough information for the narrative to be legible to the reader.
- Exposition suggests a great trust in the reader, and this expression of trust makes a book feel tender.
Akhil Sharma is an Indian-American author. His first novel An Obedient Father won the Hemingway Foundation/PEN Award. His second, Family Life, won the Folio Prize and International Dublin Literary Award.
Source for screenshot