Happy Birthday, Laini Taylor, born 22 December 1971
- Never sit staring at a blank page or screen. If you find yourself stuck, write. Write about the scene you’re trying to write. Writing about is easier than writing, and chances are, it will give you your way in.
- It took me a while to finish a book. Too long. And you know, it doesn’t matter how good a writer you are unless you finish what you start!
- Personally, I think the passion for an extraordinary life, and the courage to pursue it, is what makes us special.
- When you are young, hone your craft and write shorter pieces instead of novels, because it’s really hard to finish a novel.
- Dialogue is the place that books are most alive and forge the most direct connection with readers. It is also where we as writers discover our characters and allow them to become real.
- I think with world building, it’s important to create a sense of culture even if it is just a fantasy, and the best way to do that is to look at a real human culture and see what makes it cohesive.
- Daydreaming, however awesome it is, is passive. It happens in your head. Learning to make dreams real is another matter, and I think it should be the work of your life.
Laini Taylor is an American young-adult fantasy author. She is best known for the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series, which began with Daughter of Smoke & Bone. Her latest novel is Strange The Dreamer.
Source for Image