Happy Birthday, Sarah Waters, born 21 July 1966
- I knew I’d always be a second-rate academic, and I thought, Well, Id rather be a second-rate novelist or even a third-rate one.
- Why do gentlemen’s voices carry so clearly, when women’s are so easily stifled?
- Respect your characters, even the minor ones. In art, as in life, everyone is the hero of their own particular story; it is worth thinking about what your minor characters’ stories are, even though they may intersect only slightly with your protagonist’s.
- Why is it we can never love the people we ought to?
- I never expected my books to do even as well as they have. I still feel grateful for it, every single day.
- I’ve given up reading the papers. Since the world’s so obviously bent on killing itself, I decided months ago to sit back and let it.
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar