Jules Michelet was born 21 August 1798, and died 9 February 1874
- Woman is a miracle of divine contradictions
- You are one of the forces of nature.
- He who would confine his thought to present time will not understand present reality.
- Achieving a goal is nothing. The getting there is everything.
- He who knows how to be poor knows everything.
- What manly eloquence could produce such an effect as woman’s silence?
- The historian’s first duties are sacrilege and the mocking of false gods. They are his indispensable instruments for establishing the truth.
Michelet was a French historian best known for his monumental Histoire de France (History of France). Michelet was the first historian to use and define the word Renaissance as a period in Europe’s cultural history that represented a break from the Middle Ages, creating a modern understanding of humanity and its place in the world. Michelet’s method, an attempt to resurrect the past by immersing his own personality in his narrative, resulted in a historical synthesis of great dramatic power.
Source for Image