Happy Birthday, Mary Pope Osborne, born 20 May 1949
- With my writing, I can still play inside an enchanted castle or live inside an old fort. I can run from ghosts or ride dolphins any day of the week.
- I love teaching. It’s a job that lasts forever. Whatever you teach children today travels with them far into the future.
- Reading is my favourite thing to do.
- Writing is a miracle. You can travel anywhere in the world, to any time and any place — and still be home in time to have dinner.
- A vacation for me is when I’m home and I’m writing.
- Reading is the basic springboard for learning. And books provide the liftoff. They are the great equaliser, opening up new worlds to everyone.
- When we believe we have all the answers, we are not open to mystery. To begin a mystical journey, you have to start with a sense of wonder, of not knowing where you are going or how you will travel.
- Artists have to believe in the merit of their own work and persevere whether they receive public recognition or not.
- I get ideas from my own personal experiences, from my imagination, and from my research, and from old stories.
- I discovered writing children’s books was a way to keep living in my imagination like a child.
Mary Pope Osborne is an American author. She is known for the award-winning and bestselling Magic Tree House series, which has been translated into more than 30 languages and has sold more than 130 million copies worldwide. The series began with Dinosaurs Before Dark.
Are you interested in more authors’ birthdays? Click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar