Happy Birthday, Andy Weir, born 16 June 1972
- I do know that the best way to make a mediocre movie is to just transcribe the book.
- A story in your head isn’t a story. It’s just a daydream until you actually write it down. So write it down.
- A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow. Don’t wait for an inspired ending to come to mind. Work your way to the ending and see what comes up.
- If you look up every last detail on your subject, you’ll never finish.
- If the reader is rooting for the protagonist, they’ll forgive you just about everything else.
- You want an audience. If you didn’t, you wouldn’t be a writer. The biggest motivation to write is the knowledge that someone will read it.
- Thanks to our modern era, facts are incredibly easy to come by. A few web searches for your subject matter, and you have all the information you could dream of.
- The worst moments in life are heralded by small observations.
- They say no plan survives first contact with implementation. I’d have to agree.