René Char was born 14 June 1907, and died 19 February 1988
- I believe in the magic and authority of words.
- Children and geniuses know that there is no bridge, only the water that lets itself be crossed.
- It is not whether your words or actions are tough or gentle; it is the spirit behind your actions and words that announces your inner state.
- In my land we don’t question someone who has been touched deeply.
- A poet must leave traces of his passage, not proof. Traces alone engender dreams.
René Char was a 20th-century French poet whose first book, Cloches sur le cœur was published in 1928. He was a member of the French Resistance during World War II. Char was a friend and close associate of Albert Camus, Georges Bataille and Pablo Picasso. His poems are collected in the Selected Poems of René Char.
Source for Image