Happy Birthday, Armistead Maupin, born 13 May 1944
- If you want to know who the oppressed minorities in America are, simply look at who gets their own shelf in the bookstore. A black shelf, a women’s shelf, and a gay shelf.
- Garbage, you know, is very revealing. It beats the shit out of tarot cards.
- Being in love is the only transcendent experience.
- The world changes in direct proportion to the number of people willing to be honest about their lives.
- I think that instinct, that storytelling instinct, rescued me most of my life.
- I can’t imagine a more fulfilling thing for a writer than that you’ve made a strong impact on the lives of other people. Just because I’ve heard it before does not mean I don’t want to hear it one more time.
- Some things can be said in fiction that can never be said in memoir.
Maupin is an American writer, best known for his Tales of the City series of novels, set in San Francisco.
Source for Image