Happy Birthday, Alastair Reynolds, born 13 March 1966
- I always need to write in a small space, to feel cocooned.
- It’s the people who don’t worry—those who never have any doubts that what they’re doing is good and right—they’re the ones that cause the problems.
- I think I’ve reduced the amount of blood in my caffeine system to an acceptable level.
- Meddling is what we do. It’s what defines us. Meddling gave us fire and tools and civilisation and the keys to the universe. Fingers will get burnt along the way, yes. That’s the way of it.
- History is what we write, not what we remember. Why should we tarnish the memory of our planet by enshrining our less then noble deeds?
- A city’s only ever three hot meals away from anarchy.
- The cards always look different when it’s your turn to play them; loaded with subtly different possibilities.
- I’m sometimes asked what it was that started me writing. The truth is, I don’t know: it seems to me that I’ve been creating stories since about the time I could read and write.
Alastair Reynolds is a British science fiction author. His books include Revelation Space, Chasm City, Redemption Ark, Absolution Gap, and The Prefect, all of which are set in the same universe.
If you’re inspired, educated, or entertained by our posts, please show your love with a donation.