Happy Birthday, Wole Soyinka, born 13 July 1934
- Books and all forms of writing are terror to those who wish to suppress truth.
- Arts and the Sciences are a natural symbiosis. They stem from the same human existential impulse – exploration. Exploration of what lies beneath the surface, and re-configuration of elements of what we call reality.
- The greatest threat to freedom is the absence of criticism.
- My horizon on humanity is enlarged by reading the writers of poems, seeing a painting, listening to some music, some opera, which has nothing at all to do with a volatile human condition or struggle or whatever. It enriches me as a human being.
- The man dies in all those that keep silent.
- Intolerance has become, I think, the reigning ideology of the world today, the intolerance versus intolerance and it’s taken on lethal proportions.
- Don’t take shadows too seriously. Reality is your only safety. Continue to reject illusion.
- I’m not sure I’m trying to communicate a message. I’m just trying to be part of the movement away from the unacceptable present.
- And I believe that the best learning process of any kind of craft is just to look at the work of others.
- But the ultimate lesson is just sit down and write. That’s all.
Source for image