Happy Birthday, Warsan Shire, born 1 August 1988
- I have my mother’s mouth and my father’s eyes; on my face they are still together.
- Document the moments you feel most in love with yourself – what you’re wearing, who you’re around, what you’re doing. Recreate and repeat.
- At the end of the day, it isn’t where I came from. Maybe home is somewhere I’m going and never have been before.
- My alone feels so good, I’ll only have you if you’re sweeter than my solitude.
- His eyes were the same colour as the sea in a postcard someone sends you when they love you, but not enough to stay.
- You think I’ll be the dark sky so you can be the star? I’ll swallow you whole.
- Don’t assume, ask. Be kind. Tell the truth. Don’t say anything you can’t stand behind fully. Have integrity. Tell people how you feel.
- You are terrifying and strange and beautiful, someone not everyone knows how to love.
- Later that night, I held an atlas on my lap, ran my fingers across the whole world, and whispered, ‘where does it hurt?’ It answered, everywhere, everywhere, everywhere.
- Perhaps, the problem is not the intensity of your love, but the quality of the people you are loving.
- Loving you was like going to war; I never came back the same.
- But sometimes your light attracts moths and your warmth attracts parasites. Protect your space and energy.
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar