Is This Written In Plain Language?
Some areas that create confusion in the document:
- There are 26 defined terms which makes the document difficult to understand.
- The use of acronyms like “ANPR” (automatic number plate recognition technology”, TCH (transaction clearing house), VLN (motor vehicle license plate number) and VPC (violations processing centre).
- The use of legalese.
- Using passive voice.
- Long and complicated sentences.
Applying plain language will improve the clarity of the document.
“5. As a registered user, the user will be billed and will be liable for toll transactions recorded according to the user’s VLN or its e-tag.”
In Plain Language: You must pay toll fees for your vehicle’s licence plate number or e-tag.
“6.6. The user understands and agrees that its liability to incur toll arises when its motor vehicle passes a tolling point. The amount of toll is calculated with reference to the tolling point and not with reference to kilometres travelled before the user reached the tolling point.”
In Plain Language: You must pay the toll fee. The toll fee is determined when you pass a tolling point. The kilometres you travel do not determine the toll fee.
By Michele van Eck. Michelle has a BComm in business management and law, as well as an LLB and an LLM. With specialised qualifications in corporate and contractual law, Michele writes for De Rebus and has co-authored articles for TSAR.
If you want to improve your business writing skills, join us for The Plain Language Programme.
- Why You Should Choose To Use Plain Language
- Communicate Clearly Or Face The Consequences
- 30 Famous Authors On Writing In Plain Language
- Are E-toll Terms And Conditions Written In Plain Language?
- How To Lose An Election In Plain Language
- 3 Ways To Write In Plain Language
- 8 Factors That Influence Plain Language
- Plain Language – Know Your Audience
- Why Plain Language Is Popular
- How The Law Defines Plain Language
Become a Writers Write patron:
If you’re inspired, educated, or entertained by our posts, please support us with a donation.