Business memos are written to an entire office. Memos inform staff of office and procedural changes that apply to a large group of people.
Eight Tips For Writing Good Memos
- A memo is not as formal as a written letter.
- The tone is usually friendly as it is a communication between colleagues.
- Keep the memo concise and to the point.
- Introduce the reason for the memo with a short paragraph.
- Use bullet points to explain the most important steps in a process.
- Finish the memo with a short thank you.
- You can use “memorandum” instead of “memo”.
- When writing business memos, include:
- The intended recipients.
- Who is writing the memo.
- The date.
- Why you are writing the memo (subject).
To: Editorial Teams
Date: 9 September 2018
Subject: New Manuscript Tracking System
We’d like to go over the new manuscript tracking system we discussed at our meeting on Thursday, 6 September 2018.
This is the procedure you will need to keep your manuscript list updated:
- Log on to the company web site with your user ID and password.
- Click on “New Manuscript”.
- Enter the manuscript information.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you have entered all of your manuscripts.
- Once this information has been entered, select “Update”.
- Choose the manuscript from the drop down list “Manuscripts”.
- Choose the progress from the drop down list “Progress”.
- Choose the step from the drop down list “Steps”.
- Click on the “Update” button.
As you can see, the management teams will now be able to keep track of your progress with no paperwork or unnecessary meetings.
Thank you for putting this new system into place.
If you want to improve your business writing, join us for The Plain Language Programme.
If you enjoyed this post read:
- A Step-By-Step Guide To Help You Write Minutes
- A Step-By-Step Guide To Help You Write Notices
- A Step-By-Step Guide To Help You Format Your Emails
- How To Use Trigger Words When You Write
- 7 Essential Characteristics Of Effective Business Writing
- 8 Basic Questions Business Writers Need To Ask
If you liked this content and you want to show your appreciation, please: