Writers Write creates and shares business writing resources. In this post, we share five simple ways to improve your business writing.
5 Simple Ways To Improve Your Business Writing
In business, you write to communicate. If you want to improve your business writing, ask yourself these five questions:
1. What are you trying to say?
- Before you begin, ask yourself: What do I want to say?
- While you are writing ask: What am I saying?
- When you’re finished, ask: Did I say what I wanted to say?
2. Will your readers care?
3. Why are you trying to sound like a lawyer?
4. Why are you cluttering up your writing?
- Don’t write: ‘Some high-level business executives arrived in a light-coloured, fancy car.’
- Do write: ‘Three board directors arrived in a white BMW.’
5. Have you thought about your reader?
If you are, you will keep it simple. We are overwhelmed with information. Avoid being pretentious. Imagine reading what you’ve written. Be honest. Is it interesting, useful, or educational? Read your writing aloud. Does it make sense to you? If not, rewrite.
If you want to learn how to write for business, join us for The Plain Language Programme
If you enjoyed this article, read: