A cautionary tale
You take a large swig of lemony water. The waiter hovers as you straighten your cutlery for the umpteenth time. His dating profile, as amazing as it was, didn’t have a picture, so you scan the bustling restaurant again for the pink shirt. A man clears his throat behind you. Paul! You turn to face him. Your smile freezes. He’s short. He’s bald. He has yellow sweat stains under the arms of his crumpled salmon shirt. And what looks like runny egg in his wiry beard.
To date, or not to date
Branding is a lot like the info that goes on an online dating profile. It’s a specific image about who you are that helps differentiate you from others. It’s your identity – the personality you portray to the world out there.
- If you’re a company, it’s what attracts your customers to try your product or service.
- If you’re an author, it’s what gets potential readers interested in you. It’s what gets you your first date.
I’m outta here
Nothing makes a customer or potential fan say ‘I’m outta here’ faster than when the personality you portray on social media is nothing like who you really are.
4 Ways To Create An Authentic Social Media Presence
These four tips will help you create a social media presence that is authentic, congruent, and resonates with your audience:
- Stay true to your personality: if your company were a character in a novel, what kind of person would it be? As a writer, what is your personality? Don’t portray a social media presence that departs from who you are in ‘real life’.
- Stay true to your accomplishments: don’t brag about things you want to do. Show what you’ve done. It adds credibility to your brand.
- Stay true to your values: your values are the ‘why’ behind what you do what you do. Before you communicate your values on social media, you need to know what they are. You need to be able to describe them in specific, concrete language.
- Stay true to your interests: our interests are part of what makes people curious about us. What are your company’s or your interests? If you let this human aspect shine through in your social media presence, it will help your customers or readers relate to you.
Here’s to that next date.