Writers Write shares writing resources and writing tips. In this post, we give you 15 reasons why you should write poetry.
Why should you write poems?
Because they’re awesome, but also because poetry is even more condensed that the short story. I find writing poems challenging and they make me approach writing differently.
15 Good Reasons To Write Poetry
- Allow you to brainstorm. Because the medium differs from stories, poems allow you to express things differently. Use them to brainstorm ideas.
- Make your words work. Even more than the short story, poems have limited words and we need make our words work hard.
- Make you think differently about words. Poems make us re-evaluate words and think of new ways to manipulate language.
- Make you evaluate each word, because of the condensed nature of a poem we have to spend even more time evaluating our word choice.
- Allow you to say exactly what it is you want to say. Poems act as a filter and help us get to the guts of the matter.
- Have rules, but they also have no rules. You get to break all the rules when you write poems but do it only because it serves the poem. Manipulate grammar, change the sentence structure.
- Allow you to experiment and experiment some more. Have fun.
- Have many places to submit. The only thing there is more of on the internet than short story competitions and submissions are poetry sites. Dig in.
- Are even quicker to write. A poem can take a few minutes and just spill out or it can take years.
- Give you a break from fiction, because it is such a different medium.
- Give you deadlines, deadlines and more deadlines. Find them online, sign up here, but get going.
- Make you more aware of how words and sentences sound, which will improve your fiction.
- Give you an opportunity to learn by reading and commenting on other poems.
- Help you learn from the comments and feedback from other poets.
- Help you express emotion and feelings. Poems are supposed to make you feel something even if you don’t understand them. They help you get feelings out.
It is true that many of these are applicable of all writing, but I hope that I have convinced you that poems are valuable. It would be awesome if you would like to join us for this new adventure.
by Mia Botha
If you enjoyed this post, you will love: