At last, it is time to put your writing skills to the test. We are thrilled to announce the first 12 Short Stories Writing Competition.
Word count: 1200 words
Deadline 1: 15 November 2017 (Optional)
Final Deadline 2: 6 December 2017
The prizes are amazing!
There will be a grand prize winner, five runners-up and a reader’s choice award.
- The grand prize winner will win the Writers Write Online Course. It is a complete introduction to novel writing. It consists of 60 Modules with 100 writing exercises. You will receive a PDF version of the course and a printable workbook. It covers everything from plotting to pacing to publishing. It is self-paced, internet-based and includes eight, 45 minute, creative writing consultations via Skype, with Mia Botha. The course is valued at US$700. (The Skype Consultations are valid and available for six months after the winner has been announced, but you will have lifelong access to the course material.)
- The five runners-up will each receive a complete short story appraisal, plus a 45 minute writing consultation via Skype, to the value of $99.
- The reader’s choice award will receive a complete short story appraisal, plus a 45 minute writing consultation via skype, to the value of $99.
Deadlines are good for writers. Use the competition deadline to complete another short story.
How to enter:
- We recommend logging in/connecting with Facebook. WordPress password/logins are very sensitive and have been creating problems due to the strict security on the site. (On the WordPress log in page you will see a block below: Connect with Facebook.)
The first deadline is 15 November 2017. This deadline is optional.
- Please post your own story and comment on four other stories. Be kind.
- You can post any time after the first deadline.
- To post your story:
1) Log in on the competition site.
2) Select the dashboard top left.
3) Select posts.
4) Add new post.
5) Copy/paste your story into the block.
6) Please use this format:
Title bar: Title by Author
Body: Prompt: XXXXX | Word count: 1200 | Genre:
Warning to sensitive readers (If required)
7) Select Category, bottom right, Competition 2017
9) Read and comment on four other stories.
10) Rewrite your story if needed.
The second deadline is final.
- You can rewrite and make changes to your story, but the final story must be posted on 6 December 2017.
- Stories must be submitted between 6 December 2017, 8:00 (Johannesburg time) and will be accepted until 7 December 2017, 8:00 (Johannesburg time).
Any questions, please mail: email@example.com
by Mia Botha
If you enjoyed this post, you will love:
- 5 Ways To Sneak Setting Into Short Stories
- Cut The Strings – Submit Your Ninth Short Story Today
- How To Show And Not Tell In Short Stories
- How To Make The Most Of Sequels In Short Stories