12 Short Stories and Writers Write are proud to welcome you to the official 12 Short Stories Competition for 2019.
This is our big fundraiser to keep our 12 Short Stories writing community free. Please enter the competition to support a good cause.
12 Short Stories started in 2017. To date we have posted more than 5000 stories and poems and made more than 50 000 critique comments on those posts. There are about 200 writers and poets posting stories and poems every month. It is a place where writers learn and grow and thrive.
12 Short Stories Competition For 2019
Let’s get writing.
Here is what you have to do:
- Write an awesome short story.
- Submit it on the first deadline. (Optional)
- Give and receive feedback from your fellow writers. (Optional)
- Rewrite your story and submit your story on the final deadline.
- Hold thumbs.
Read the Terms and Conditions.
Still thinking about it?
Here are all the reason why you should enter:
- The prizes:
- The grand prize winner will win a voucher to the value of $599 to purchase an online course of their choice in the Writers Write Store.
- The second place winner will win a voucher to the value of $299 to purchase an online course of their choice in the Writers Write Store.
- The third place winner will win a voucher to the value of $199 to purchase an online course of their choice in the Writers Write Store.
- The fourth place winner will win a voucher to the value of $199 to purchase an online course of their choice in the Writers Write Store.
- The Reader’s choice award will win a voucher to the value of $199 to purchase an online course of their choice in the Writers Write Store.
- All winners will receive an appraisal of their entry and have an online writing consultation of 60 minutes with Mia Botha.
T&Cs: Prizes cannot be used for sale items, cannot be transferred or exchanged for cash. The online consultations are valid and available for six months after the winner is announced. Please read the full list of Terms & Conditions here.
Learn more about the life-changing Writers Write Online Courses.
- Deadlines are good for writers. Use the competition deadline to complete another short story.
- You post one story, but comment on four. That means you will receive feedback from four other writers. This is a great opportunity to learn.
- A chance to rewrite. Your story will be up on the site while your fellow writers comment on your writing. You will have chance to rewrite and resubmit your story.
- Have we mentioned the prizes are awesome?
How does the competition work?
- Sign up and pay US$35 (This is for the competition only.)
- Or choose Level 2 for US$50, which includes the entry fee and an appraisal of a 2500 word short story.
- Create a profile.
- Read the prompt for the competition.
- Write an awesome short story. Take note of the word count.
- Submit your story using the Submit/Competition 2019 button.
- Complete all the fields and copy/paste your story using the correct formatting.
- Make sure you choose the correct category : Competition 2019
- Hit submit.
- Your story will be submitted for approval.
- Read and comment on four stories by other writers. You will find them under the READ/Competition 2019 button.
- Please follow the commenting/evaluating guidelines.
- Submit the final version of your story on the day of the final deadline.
- Winners will be notified via email and announced on the site.
- Good luck.
Registered User for Level 1|Short Stories and Level 4|Poetry:
- If you would like to enter the competition please add the Competition Level to your profile by visiting the Account Page.
- You can select Competition 2019. The fee is US$35 and is for one entry into the competition.
- You can select Level 2| Serious Deadline for US$50. This includes entry in the 2019 competition and an appraisal of a 2500 word short story.
Registered Level 2 members:
- If are already a Level 2 member the Competition Level has already been added to your profile and an email has been sent to you. Please contact me if you have any questions.
Please be kind when you comment and provide constructive feedback.
You do not have to post your story for the first deadline if you do not want comments, but the final deadline is non-negotiable.
Who is Mia Botha?
Mia is a writer who wanted to figure out the novel writing process for herself. Along the way she turned into a writing teacher. She’s been teaching, guiding, and sharing her knowledge for almost ten years. She loves writing, teaching, and dreaming up new characters. In 2017 she set a challenge for herself to write 12 Short Stories in 12 months. She mentioned this on Facebook and found several liked-minded scribblers who wanted to share the challenge. Those same scribblers are completing the challenge for the third time. This competition is all about helping writers share their stories and learn and grow.
by Mia Botha
Buy Mia’s book on short stories: Write the crap out of it and other short story writing advice
Short Story Challenge:
- For The Glory – Submit Your Ninth Story For 2019 Today
- Workbench – Submit Your Eighth Short Story Today
- Men And Women – Submit Your Seventh Short Story Today
- Lethal – Submit Your Sixth Short Story Today
- Rome – Submit Your Fifth Short Story Today
- Cut-Throat – Submit Your Fourth Short Story Today
- Tag – Submit Your Third Short Story Today
- New Me – Submit Your Second Short Story Today
- No One Can Know – Submit Your First Short Story Today
- Welcome To The 12 Short Stories Writing Challenge For 2019